In high school, I discovered my passion for endurance sports. From long distance running, hiking, rock climbing and mountaineering, I learned that I could successfully reach challenging goals. A lesson that I continue to practice through adulthood.
As Albert Einstein once said, “We can not solve our problems with the same level of thinking that created them.” If there is anything I want to do with my life, I want to make the world a better place. However, to accomplish this, I must encourage myself and those around me to:
- Ask questions and humbly listen to the people around me.
- Read articles and books that challenge our current paradigms.
- Maintain an attitude of gratitude for everything in our lives.
- Continually develop new skills, talents, and hobbies.
- Celebrate personal, family, community, and world success.
- Use personal and group creativity to discover unique solutions.
As I climb personal and community mountains, I must remember that I am striving to find solutions to difficult problems so that my friends and family can survive and thrive. As I push to improve myself, community, and the world—I must make time to recharge. I can do this by:
- Having fun with my friends, family, and community. I must reconnect with the people I am trying to serve through activity, events, and conversation.
- Care for my physical and mental health. Whether I am running, hiking, laughing, eating, swimming, or dancing—these activities help my mind and body recenter.
- Attend church. As I re-connect with God each Sunday, I am filled with hope, love, compassion, and it gives me time to re-celebrate my campus to true north.
As I spend time at home, I will acknowledge my family’s influence in my life. As I drive home from work, I will call my extended family. When I walk into my house, I will smile and remain positive so that my husband knows how much I love and appreciate him.
At work, I have a responsibility to lead my coworkers, customers, and followers by example. I promise to examine current processes, ask questions, look for ways to improve implementation, and do my best to deliver results.
As a world traveler and citizen, I will show everyone around me respect, compassion, and love.